Sometimes you just need a delicious little snack. Today was one of those times. I started thinking about all the breads and muffins I used to make B.F.S. (Before Food Sensitivities ) and remembered these little guys. I just KNEW I could revamp the recipe to still taste great, and turn out well. And so…..here you go. I did it!
What you will need:
1/3 cup butter
½ cup + 2 tbsp. white sugar
2 flax eggs (instructions below)
1 cup white rice flour
¼ cup potato starch
½ cup sweet sorghum flour
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
¾ cup mashed banana
1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained
½ cup mini chocolate chips
½ jar red maraschino cherries, cut up and drained well
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add flax eggs, and beat.
- Mix together flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, alternately with the banana and pineapple until blended.
- Fold in by hand the chocolate chips and cherries.
- Place into greased mini loaf pans. It makes 8 mini loaves, which just happens to fill up this pan I own.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
Here they are, all ready to go in the oven:
And….ta-da! 35 minutes later, and a little time for cooling, and you have:
And that’s it! They are delicious. Since the weather is warming up I’m getting back into iced tea, and I can say with a certainty that a cup of Pink Dragon iced tea and a mini loaf make for a great break in the day.
True confession – the first time through I forgot the xanthan gum, and they were fine. I just make a second batch WITH the xanthan in, and there really isn’t a noticeable difference, except that they slice better. So if you are eating one alone, and just biting pieces off you’re good without, but if you’re being delicate and slicing them, you might want it in.
- I used butter. If you can’t have butter substitute in a dairy free margarine of your choice. I can’t have dairy, but for some reason butter still works for me.
- Flax eggs – 2 tbsp. finely ground flax and 6 tbsp. of water. Mix and let sit for 20 minutes or so until thickened.
- I use Enjoy Life mini chips in this recipe. I like that they are tiny, since this are miniature loaves.
- I use organic white sugar.