I looked at these and said to myself, “Say hello to my little friends”. Sometimes I make myself laugh. 🙂
These little guys are quite tasty. They hold together well, and I pretend they are healthy because they have applesauce in them. Ha, ha. I left these on the counter with a note to my husband, “Don’t cut into or eat these until you take some pictures.” I was teaching piano, and I knew if I didn’t leave a note, some would disappear before I was done. He was a good boy and took pictures for me.
Here is my recipe for Applesauce Chocolate Chip Cake Mini Loaves:
½ cup white rice flour
¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. brown rice flour
1 tsp. xanthan gum
½ tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. mace
1/8 tsp. cloves
¼ cup butter
½ cup sugar
1 chia egg
½ cup applesauce
½ cup chocolate chips
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place a pan of water in the oven to keep the loaves moist while they cook (on a lower rack). Sift the dry ingredients together. Beat your butter and sugar together (either with your own strong arm and a wooden spoon, or a mixer), and add chia egg. To this, add the dry ingredients alternately with the applesauce, beating after each addition until smooth. Stir in half your chocolate chips. Place in four greased mini loaf pans. Mine are like these. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top. Bake for 35 minutes or so, until done.
- I cannot have dairy, but butter doesn’t bother me, so I used butter. I think a dairy free margarine would be fine as well.
- I used organic white sugar
- Chia egg = 1 tbsp. chia seeds, and 3 tbsp. water. Let this sit for at least 20 minutes until it forms a gel.
- I still had applesauce in the freezer from last fall, so I used homemade, which had some sugar in it. Store bought would be fine, and if you want to cut down on sugar, use the sugar-free variety.
- Confession – I used more chocolate chips. Ha, ha. More chocolate is always better than less.
- Of course, baked goods are always better with a cup of tea. My current favourite is French Toast Oolong from Steeped Tea.